The Vision Of Contemplative Outreach
The intent of Contemplative Outreach is to foster the process of transformation in Christ in one another through the practice of Centering Prayer.
- Contemplative Outreach is a community of individuals and Centering Prayer groups committed to living the contemplative dimension of the Gospel in everyday life.
- A commitment to the daily practice of Centering Prayer is the primary expression of belonging.
- Listening to the word of God in scripture through the practice of Lectio Divina is encouraged, particularly its movement into contemplative prayer, which a daily practice of Centering Prayer facilitates.
- The source of Centering Prayer is the Indwelling Trinity. Its practice consists of responding to the call of the Holy Spirit to consent to the Divine presence and action within.
- The Divine presence affirms our basic core of goodness made in the image of God.
- The Divine action is the process of transformation in Christ which inspires and deepens our consent.
- The contemplative dimension of the Gospel manifests as an ever- deepening union with Christ and the practical caring for others that flows from this relationship. It reveals the deeper meaning of Christ's life and teaching.
- Our relationship with the living Christ is the bond uniting us together in mutual love.
- While formed by our respective denominations, we are united in our common search for God and our experience of Christ through Centering Prayer.
- We identify with the Christian contemplative heritage in which Centering Prayer is rooted. We recognize this heritage as the common ground for Christian unity.
- We affirm our solidarity with the contemplative dimension of other religions and sacred traditions.
- Through the continuing practice of Centering Prayer, we experience a deepening commitment to the needs and rights of each member of the human family and an increasing respect for the interdependence of all creation.
- We foster a spirit of unity, generosity and utmost charity in all our relationships.
- Following the teachings of Jesus, we exercise leadership through an attitude of humility, listening and service.
- We recognize and maintain a spiritual relationship with Saint Benedict's Monastery in Snowmass, Colorado.
- We acknowledge that any good accomplished by Contemplative Outreach is the work of the Holy Spirit.